Snow looks so beautiful as it falls, and it looks lovely from the inside of our house -until we have to get outside and start shoveling our brick patios in Wellesley, MA. Though our brick paths are robust and sturdy, there are ways we can protect them from additional damage during the harsh winter. A shovel is likely the safest tool to use on your brick when trying to get rid of snow and ice, but sometimes that isn’t enough to make it safe to use.
De-icing salt and other chemical products used to get rid of ice or packed down snow are pretty common, but they can be quite damaging to our bricks. Not only can it cause discoloration and staining, but it can also impact their integrity, as well as hurt the lawn surrounding it. Many snowplows have rubber paddles that will prevent damage to brick, but not every person has access to those machines. For that, Cataldo has a few tips for ice and snow removal.
- Always remove as much snow and ice as possible with a shovel before using products
- Avoid products with ammonium nitrate and ammonium sulfate
- Consider using sand instead of a de-icer, or in combination with it
- Removing snow and slush helps the melting process
- Avoid de-icers and other similar products near vegetation
- Magnesium chloride is a newer de-icing product and often the safest for brick
Cataldo Landscape and Masonry always advises our customers to use their de-icing products as how they are instructed to on the package, prevent use where damage to your landscape can occur, and use it moderately throughout the season.
Our team of professionals is always happy to answer any questions our customers have about our services. From brick patio care to sod installation in Wellesley, MA, we are your go-to landscaping experts for all four seasons in New England.
If you have more questions about our services, please contact us today at (781) 304-8900.